Back in 2008, a 26 year-old girl died of skin cancer after years of tanning every day. Now, her mother is speaking out to warn the public about the dangers of tanning.
Glenna Kohl was a carefree, beautiful Rhode Islander before she contracted skin cancer. Ever since she was in high school, Glenna had been tanning multiple times a week either on the beach or in a tanning bed.
Years before she died, Glenna had a mole removed that the doctors did not realize was cancerous. By the time a tumor developed on her groin, her cancer was already too far advanced for her life to be saved.
Glenna’s mother Colleen is now working with her husband Bob to warn young people that tanning beds are “lethal” and that the key to fighting cancer is “early detection and prevention.”
Colleen and Bob have started a foundation called Glenna Kohl Fund For Help, and they convinced Maine lawmakers to pass a bill last year that “bans indoor tanning for those under 16 and requires express consent from parents for those aged 16 or 17.”
“As health-conscious as Glenna was, she didn’t connect tanning with skin cancer,” Colleen told the press.
According to the Melanoma Research Foundation, “exposure to tanning beds before age 30 increases a person’s risk of developing melanoma by a whopping 75 percent.”
Next time, think twice before you go tanning.