viral

Author

Friday, May 1, 2015

The family lost their golden retriever when she ate some gum that she found lying around.

“She was like our first child. She was our family before we even had Grady,” said the owner of the golden retriever named Luna.

Luna became sick on Monday, so the family immediately took her to the vet. There, she was diagnosed with severe liver damage, and the treatment would have cost the family $20,000 just to keep her alive. Even with the treatment, she only had a 25% of surviving.

Because Luna was suffering, the owners made the heartbreaking decision to put her down.

Apparently, it wasn’t the gum itself that killed Luna, it was an ingredient inside the gum called Xylitol, which is highly deadly to dogs.

Xylitol, which is safe for humans, is used in everything from nasal spray and toothpaste as well as many sugar substitute products. Veterinarian’s say Xylitol is typically listed in the first three to five ingredients in a product, and taking a second to look may just save your dogs life.

Though they weren’t able to save Luna, her family is now raising $20,000 to donate to their local animal shelter in her honor.

Leave a comment...

Want more stuff like this?

Add your email and your name and we'll send you the most interesting stories we get our hands on!

or

Sign-up with Facebook

By submitting above you agree to the TellMeNow privacy policy.