entertainment

Author

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Over the last few days, we’ve been reporting on the controversy surrounding the comments Donald Trump made about Mexico during his campaign announcement last week.

In his speech, Trump slammed the U.S.’s relationship with Mexico, saying it has become a huge problem. He also said that too many criminals are coming into this country illegally from Mexico, and called many of them “rapists.”

Outraged by his comments, the Spanish-language television station Univision immediately announced that they would not be broadcasting Trump’s Miss Universe pageant this summer. Days later, NBC followed suit by ending their relationship with Trump, which they had built for over a decade.

Now, Trump’s Miss Universe pageant got some even worse news when Mexico announced on Tuesday that they would not be sending a contestant to the pageant this year because of Trump’s comments. In addition, hosts Cheryl Burke and Thomas Roberts have announced that they will no longer be hosting the Miss USA pageant, which is set to take place in just two weeks.

According to Daily Mail, the show now has no host.

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 8.22.28 AM

“In light of the recent statements made by Donald Trump and the subsequent decision by NBC to cut ties with Mr. Trump, I cannot in good conscience move forward with participating in this year’s Miss USA Pageant as its co-host,” Burke said in a statement.

“Effective today I have withdrawn from my duties with Miss USA. Although I will not be there in person, I wish all of the contestants much luck as I know how hard they’ve all been working over the last year to try and realize their dreams,” she continued.

Despite this set back, the Miss USA organization released a statement saying they would be going forward with their pageant.

“While world politics and other influences will undoubtedly play a role, the pageant will always seek to transcend controversy,” the organization said in a statement. “We want our supporters to know we remain committed to them and we will be conducting the pageant, regardless of the current situation. We are moving forward, full-steam ahead as planned for the next two weeks, culminating in the crowning of a new Miss USA on July 12th.”

2A1F268900000578-3144033-image-a-121_1435699142982

Seemingly unfazed by these setbacks, Trump $500 million lawsuit against Univision on Tuesday for cutting ties with the Miss Universe organization. In the suit, he called their decision “a politically motivated attempt to suppress Mr. Trump’s freedom of speech under the First Amendment as he begins to campaign for the nation’s presidency.”

The lawsuit also slammed both Univision and NBC for their behavior towards the pageants:

“As a consequence of their inappropriate actions, Univision and NBC have abandoned fifty one wonderful young women who have come from all over the United States to pursue their dream of being crowned Miss USA. Their participation in this globally renowned pageant has come at great cost and after years of sacrifice and hard work. NBC and Univision have wronged them greatly.”

We also must note that despite the backlash, Trump has stayed strong and refused to back down on his stance on Mexico.

What do you think about the Donald Trump controversy? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section

Leave a comment...

Want more stuff like this?

Add your email and your name and we'll send you the most interesting stories we get our hands on!

or

Sign-up with Facebook

By submitting above you agree to the TellMeNow privacy policy.